Monday, May 1, 2017

One more critique… A movie this time…

Oh yeah, I went for a movie amidst all my unfulfilled commitments! I was in two minds about going for a movie! As many of you know, I don’t watch movies that much. It used to be one handful of movies a year earlier but in the recent past it dipped further! The last movies I watched were "Kaakka Muttai" in 2015 or earlier and then a "Monsoon Wedding" in a flight last year!! Given that track record :-), when I was invited to go for this movie, all my unfinished tasks and May 2nd deadlines came to my mind stopping me from an immediate yes. But, I was reminded of the team I coached in 2015 who wanted me to see the part 1. They even threatened me not to let me in if I do not watch the movie :-) In addition, I could not say no to those invited for the movie. Finally, I went for the movie. This is again "I am glad I did" kinds :-)

There were many points that resonated with my thinking and there were quite a number of lessons too! How important it is to keep the commitments given is conveyed beautifully. The queen was the most respected person in the country! She deserves the respect every bit! A courageous, honest and kind Queen; she was not shown as an omnipotent Queen; she committed mistakes too! Very human!! I liked it! I also liked the princess who rejected the marriage proposal from a great dynasty just because they tried to impress her with gifts and ordered her into marriage!  I liked the way the Prince and the Princess fight the enemy together, the way the Prince teaches her the new technique to use her bow and arrow! The way they both use the weapons together was like dance! I don’t know if the director envisaged it and wanted to convey it as a dance, but it felt like that to me! I liked the way the Princess refused to be a prisoner even to the Prince who has won her heart already! Though there were a couple of other points I disagree with the director, it was beautiful!

Another key point that struck me hard is, those who stand by dharma and those who don’t suffer pretty much the same; there is death, pain, distress, disappointments on both sides. Though it appears as if dharma takes too much effort, being at the side of adharma is equally taxing! In that case, why be at the side of adharma! After all, those who are at the right side are peaceful!! The message to be in the right side was so powerful! The conflict between being law abiding and being just is beautifully portrayed! Wow!! Careful narration!! I was reminded of Mahabharata at many points!

Not only that, the "war hating me" could be at peace with war! My opinion about war changed today! I hated violence! I hated those who are violent! My mentors too hated violence like me! Rather, I was like my mentors in hating violence! One of them even said, violence is a sign of incompetence! I echoed it in my mind; Etched it strongly in my heart! Of course, I was not against Indian army or navy or air force or DRDO or the like. Though I felt they are all needed to protect the nation, the very thought of war brought a sigh and anger towards those trigger war! Today, I was absolutely at peace with war!! I knew that I would have fought too if I were in the situation! Hmm… interesting revelation about myself!!

The movie went in right speed all through. It is a very good attempt in Indian cinema. It must have taken quite a lot of study about the warfare of ancient India. The hard work was clearly visible all through the movie. Not even a single scene felt unwanted / insignificant / added for the sake of it!! Tempo was maintained till the end! Yes, I am talking about the movie Bahubali part 2!! The movie feels a lot more like a book to me! (I know the movie buffs will hate me for saying so, but, for a book lover like me, books are the greatest!!) I would like to have a personal copy of it to go back to the lessons many times!! I sat upright all through the movie as if I am listening to an important lesson or lecture, with my brain actively referring to all the previous notes and re-indexing them!!


A movie worth watching… possibly multiple times… like a book… 

No comments: